Universal Salvage scrap yard

Anything relating to Chesterfield's past.

Universal Salvage scrap yard

Postby kingkobra74 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 16:21

Does anyone remember where this was? I think it was near Unstone and probably went around the time the bypass was built. Just wondering as my dad used to work there in the late 70's.
kingkobra74
Local

Re: Universal Salvage scrap yard

Postby Fly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 17:38

Google finds this list of pubs.

LOCK KEEPER, The; Meltham Lane, Tapton.
Part of the Brewsters chain. Opened in 2000 on the site of the Universal Salvage scrap yard, near Tesco's. A “family” pub along the usual lines—indoor adventure playground for the kids, old books and farmyard implements whacked onto the walls, and so on.

Here's the link.
http://chesterfield-pubs.blogspot.com/2 ... -lord.html

I personally thought it was on Newbridge Lane Old Whit, later turned into Mick Hills.
But I'm probably wrong.

I don’t have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem! :-)

http://www.taximania.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/#!/barry.f.featherstone
Fly
Local

Postby alsatian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 17:46

Yes, Fly is 100% correct - Universal Salvage was based where the Lock Keeper is now. I used to live in one of the (then) new houses on Swaddale Avenue (1970s) and the scrap yard was just t'other side of the railway lines from the back of our house.

If you happened to be around when they were 'blasting' it was a case of 'Your life in their hands'!! There was an article in the DT where a piece of metal escaped from the blast chamber, flew over the railway lines, through a neighbours kitchen window and finally embedded itself in the far wall! :eeek:

Happy days! :lol2:

Some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree
alsatian
Local

Postby kingkobra74 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 23:17

Nice one, thanks.

Do you think it also spread onto the old Tesco site? I remember it being a pretty big place, but I was only about 6 at the time, so may have been smaller than I remember.
kingkobra74
Local

Postby handy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:24

Dont think so from memory i worked on the new canal bridge, many years ago and seem to remember their boundry next to the canal Sainsburys side,but could be wrong .

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.
handy
Local

Postby kingkobra74 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 19:23

Hi.

Managed to talk to my mum about it, and she also seems to think it was also in Unstone, but does remember it also being where the pub now stands. She seems to remember them moving to Unstone, probably because of the re-routing of Lockoford Lane. From her description of where it was in Unstone, I think it was here. Juding from them aerial photo, it looks like there is still something similar to a breakers yard there now.
kingkobra74
Local

Postby sandy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 19:52

Prior to the tesco roundabout, you got into universal salvage on the old lockoford lane, just on the opposite side of the road from where the mercedes dealer now is, when the road layout was altered, the(new) road from tesco to sainsburys cut right through the scrapyard, after that,you gained access to universal salvage on Meltham lane,& after that they didn't break cars anymore, they just sold repairable salvage.There has always been a scrayard at unstone,as far as i can remember(in my lifetime) but not sure if it was ever universal salvage.
sandy
Local

Postby smithy266 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 14:17

where was the scrapyard in Unstone then?
smithy266

Postby kingkobra74 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 15:22

Looking at the aerial photo on google maps, the one in Unstone is just down the road from the Fleur de Lys pub on the B6057, behind the old petrol station.

I'm pretty certain this is where I remember going as a kid, as I remember waiting for a bus outside, and a railway bridge, both of which are right outside the breakers yard. If you are right, and it was never Universal Salvage, then I have another theory. I remember Dad being made redundant, so if this coincides with the time that U.S. stopped breaking cars, then I guess that was the reason why he lost his job, as he was a welder. Maybe where I remember going wasn't U.S. at all and some other breaker he started working for.

Any idea of the year Lockoford Lane was re-routed?
kingkobra74
Local

Postby sandy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 15:22

smithy266 wrote:where was the scrapyard in Unstone then?

There was a scrapyard behind the petrol station,just up the road from the fleur de lys pub
sandy
Local

Next