Chesterfield once had 3 railway stations

Anything relating to Chesterfield's past.

Chesterfield once had 3 railway stations

Postby leeg » Fri Oct 12, 2012 20:43

OK I know some of you will think I'm boardering obsessive here - but I'm still fascinated by the railways that once graced this town. So thought I'd start a new topic for all things "train".

So here's a link to Chesterfield Central station that was... and feel my pain as you drive along the A61 town bypass....

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/ch ... ndex.shtml

I understand that the tunnel through which this line passed through is still there - only blocked off at the A61 end (see last pic on linked page), however, still visible off Spa Lane where it emerged...

Here is an interesting set of photos... save yourself the bother of getting muddy...
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/sho ... 29-04-2012

So if you have info, links or pics to the other long lost gem that was the Market Place station and the elegant viaduct over Horns bridge please feel free to add them (even if they've been posted elsewhere)
leeg
Local

Re: Chesterfield once had 3 railway stations

Postby Davo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 22:06

Market place Station is the other one, lovely looking building, not sure what year this was took but you can see the AGD building in the background must have been pretty new then.

The station would have been in the middle of the eastern carpark of The Future Walk Royal Mail building

Gutted the Viaduct has gone, must have been so impressive in its day!
Davo

Postby lucygen » Sat Oct 13, 2012 08:43

leeg wrote:.......So if you have info, links or pics to the other long lost gem that was the Market Place station and the elegant viaduct over Horns bridge please feel free to add them (even if they've been posted elsewhere)

I love to see old photos of Chesterfield - try not to get sap into trouble though ;)

Dawn
http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/bully.htm

Consider this sentence as telling everyone how great I am! ;)
lucygen
Local

Postby scotty16 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 16:32

Leeg

There was a good picture on that facebook site you posted :-

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =3&theater

It really puts the location of the Central Station into perspective for me. The Museum on the right (just off picture) and the Buck on the left. Am I mistaken or is there a train on the Midland Line top right corner?

Edit ----- From that same Facebook site is this picture, same as the previous but a bit close, and yes there is a train on the other line.

scotty16
Local

Postby Freak » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01

I posted the pictures on that site that shows the line being demolished and the bypass being constructed. My friend has many old pictures of Chesterfield from that era. I shall try and see if he can scan them for me.

Leeg the second link on the first post, one of the pictures shows looking up at some ladders, where does that come out?
Freak
Local

Postby leeg » Sun Oct 14, 2012 20:03

I myself failed to notice on the "disused railway" link the additional link to further photos of Central Station. Check it out if you also missed it.

It would be great to see more of the Market Place station and have yet to see any images of the railway crossing what is now Markham Road presumably on en embankment.

The ladders photo is an access hatch at the blocked off end of the Central Line tunnel - blocked off by the retaining wall forming the A61. I'd love to explore this tunnel but I would be very wary about doing so while it's been raining. However, I am very surprised it has been left open and accessible so "thank you" to the official who deemed it okay to leave it in situ and not simply filling it in like so many others.
leeg
Local

Postby leeg » Sun Oct 14, 2012 20:07

lucygen wrote:
leeg wrote:.......So if you have info, links or pics to the other long lost gem that was the Market Place station and the elegant viaduct over Horns bridge please feel free to add them (even if they've been posted elsewhere)

I love to see old photos of Chesterfield - try not to get sap into trouble though ;)

Yep sorry - I meant posted elsewhere on this forum.
leeg
Local

Postby leeg » Sun Oct 14, 2012 20:16

scotty16 wrote:Leeg

There was a good picture on that facebook site you posted :-

It really puts the location of the Central Station into perspective for me. The Museum on the right (just off picture) and the Buck on the left. Am I mistaken or is there a train on the Midland Line top right corner?

Edit ----- From that same Facebook site is this picture, same as the previous but a bit close, and yes there is a train on the other line.

I suppose it was a natural progression to use a railway bed to form the new road - perhaps the idea of using the tunnel for the road was put forward but perhaps future maintenance countered that idea. At the time the car was really becoming more affordable and train travel on that particular line was substantially less than that of the railway that exists today.

I was talking with my Uncle today (who as a youth was an avid train spotter and cited Horns Bridge as the ideal spot for this past time) and the track to Lincoln was never very profitable so would have fallen under the Beeching cuts whether the Bolsover tunnel was an issue or not.

Also learned from my Uncle, there was an impressive viaduct at Carr Vale once upon a time and he remembers it being blown up. (on purpose I mean!)
leeg
Local

Postby beefheart15 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 20:46

Am I right in thinking that the final user of the Market Place Station building was a paint and wallpaper shop ? I think I saw a picture once, and I don't know if its still there but there used to be a large garage type building fronting onto The Sun Inn's car park that held the remains of a sign, something like Chesterfield Paint And Wallpaper Company (with a few letters missing). Same concern, perhaps ?

Also, the 'party' shop next to Future Walk is built either on one of the platforms or on the gap between them, indicating the orientation of the station.
beefheart15
Local

Postby scotty16 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 22:33

Hi all, I've been busy trying to answer Freaks question about the ladder since I wondered where it is was myself. So I got into my Google plane (it's an upgrade from the car Beefy!!) and guessing the tunnels route I spotted

Close up

(I think it's near the new court house but being a good lad I wouldn't know about such places.)

The street view from Durrant Road is just trees but from the byepass you see

So I thought I'd better check with the old maps. Look how close I got. (People must think I cheat, infact I used the Spire, Spa Lane and Hollis lane as my fixed points then looked where the tunnel was).

So the tunnel actually revealed it's self just about where the wall of the bye pass is (the line then went under Brewery Street). And the ladder must be close to that orifice as was.

Last edited by scotty16 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 23:15, edited 2 times in total.
scotty16
Local

Next